Unpaid carers article
Action for Carers Oxfordshire
Action for Carers Oxfordshire is the lead organisation within the ‘Carers Oxfordshire project’
Working with partners Oxfordshire County Council, Rethink and Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group.
The team of experts can offer advice and support to adults aged 18 and over caring for another adult in Oxfordshire.
How can they help?
- Meet one of there experts who can visit you at home or another place, to offer your personal support in looking after your needs as a carer
- Time out for Carers - offering carers a much needed break
- Regular newsletter ‘Care Matters’ full of useful information, news and articles specific to carers.
- Plan for help in a crisis including registering with the Emergency carers support service
- Help to feel more confident within your caring role, access our bespoke carers courses
- Get support by meeting other carers and sharing experiences and information
- Voices of Experience
For full details please follow this link to the Age UK website
Are You a Carer?
If you are please let us know - we may be able to help you
There is a wealth of information on NHS Choices about carers and caring. Below are some links into the site that we hope you will find useful.
- Caring for a parent
Watch this video on: caring for a parent at home
- Telling people
Caring responsibilities can make it difficult to maintain friendships or develop new ones. Telling your friends you're a carer is important so they understand and can support you.
- Taking a break
Caring for someone can be a full-time job, but it's essential that you take time out for yourself too. Read our guide to accessing breaks and respite.
- Housing and carers
Do you know your tenancy rights as a carer? Are you aware of all your care at home options? Do you need tips on moving someone around the home?
Carers support groups
Finance and Law
Help claiming benefits, looking after your bank balance and understanding the legal issues of caring.
- Benefits for carers
Directing carers to the benefits that can help them in their caring role
- Benefits for the person you care for
Advice and information on helping the person you look after get the benefits that they are entitled to
- Death and benefits
How your benefits maybe affected after the death of the person you look after and what happens to their benefits
- Managing someone's legal affairs
Advice for when carers find they have to take over the legal affairs of the person they are looking after
- Other benefits
Advice for carers and the people they are looking after on claiming a whole host of other benefits unrelated to their disability or caring
- Personal and household finance
Advice on keeping a tight rein on household and personal finance for carers
- Social fund
- Tax credits
Information on claiming tax credits and whether you might be eligible